Today is not just another Sunday. Today is a very special day and I am super excited!!! Today. I get to celebrate someone. But before I get to that, just in case you’d like to join the 30 Day Writing Challenge, you can read about it here.
Today’s challenge is… What are you excited about?
I’m glad you asked that question, challenge. I am excited about Father’s day because I get to talk about my dad :-D. Gosh, I don’t even know where to start so I guess I will start with the title. My dad is my hero. If anyone were to ask, who plays the ‘hero role’ in my life I would say that it would be my dad, without even blinking. I used to brag about him when I was a kid whenever someone tried to insinuate that they could possibly be better than me. I knew that my dad loved me and I never doubted it for a moment. I still don’t doubt it.
My dad is awesome. He taught me how to work hard for everything I have by compromising and making deals with me. He would set a target for my grades and would let me choose what my gift would be if I achieved the target grade. This went on throughout my primary and high school life. I honestly don’t think I would have done as well as I did if he hadn’t given me that incentive. He also helped me with my math homework. Even when no one else at home knew the answer, dad always came through and made it seem so simple. There are so many ways he has been there for me and I’m forever grateful that he cared enough to do all these things. So here’s my thank you letter…
- Thank you for loving me as I am even when I have disappointed you.
- Thank you for going to work for all those hours and for all those years to pay my school fees and buy me school supplies.
- Thank you for spending time with me at sports events like rugby, soccer, horse racing and safari rally and for patiently explaining the rules to me.
- Thank you for taking the time to discuss my future and encouraging me to work hard by giving me incentives.
- Thank you for being such an excellent father figure that I am very secure and know I am loved and cared for.
- Thank you for saying no when you knew what I wanted wasn’t good for me.
- Thank you for teaching me to be responsible for my actions and to accept the consequences.
- Thank you for taking me to church when I was young and buying me my first rosary.
- Thank you for always getting me a card on my birthday that you picked out and signed individually.
- Thank you for telling me stories about your childhood and experiences and how they made you who you are today.
- Thank you for being a great example to me in terms of honesty and integrity.
- Thank you for being philanthropic and sharing what you have with those that didn’t have.
- Thank you for being approachable and understanding. I feel I can talk to you at any time and I don’t have to schedule an appointment.
- Thank you for supporting my sound decisions and not infringing your wishes on my life.
- Thank you for being my hero.
“May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion. May he remember all your sacrifices and accept your burnt offerings. May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.” ~Psalm 20:1-4
Happy Father’s Day, Daddy!!